Sunday 10 April 2011

Rather a long time

Hi well I’ve been very quiet of late and very, very busy. I’ve completed several projects since i last posted on here so I feel it’s high time for a catch up don’t you


Right well the first project im going to show you is one that was completed just before Christmas. The design brief involved making a mock Faberge egg using a mixture of Vac forming and moulding and casting using silicon and resins.
I constructed a single surface mould pattern out of MDF and chemi wood which i vac formed a section of sheet thermo-forming plastic over the top of. Once cleaned up and trimmed i added a lip to the front and back to secure the lid half. Then i began casting my scales.
The Scales were modelled on an elaborate fish scale design, the originals were sculpted from sculpy and cooked in warm water. Being very careful as they were very, very fragile I used them to make several silicon moulds and began casting my scales using fast cast resin. I then stuck them on to the lid section and crafted the handle out of sculpy, the pearly on the handle was painted white then sprayed with a pearlescent paint. The scales were painted gold using a mixture of washes and highlighting (which isn’t picked up very well in this picture) The base section was sprayed black and then painted blue using a mixture of sponge and feather painting to create a blue marble look.



No comments:

Post a Comment